Friday, February 8, 2013

TLS Fics of the Week: The Fab Five are up!


The Practicum by  TheFicChick
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8906792/1/The-Practicum
"We're going to be teaching high  schoolers how not to get each other knocked up or infected with gonorrhea. It's  hardly a romantic evening for two."  Rated: Fiction M

Reviewed by: DH78

There are fics that try to do fluff and are not quite successful because they lack the interesting little hiccups that make a good story. It’s sticky sweet and when they end, we’re left wondering how much sugar we consumed without biting into something delicious.

 Empty calories.

 Not this one. No siree.

 The Practicum by TheFicChick gives you something to enjoy; the sweetness, thenaturally-moving UST, the fuckhot PE coach-slash-health teacher with a propensity forblushing, and the smart, realistic female lead that is equal parts sexy and intelligent.

 The story follows Bella, English teacher teaching in the small town she was raised in,and the new guy, Edward. He’s an ex-soccer player coaching Forks High’s talentedsoccer team and newly appointed Health/sex ed teacher. Bella’s assigned to assist himwith teaching the curriculum, and well... you can imagine...

 Edward should be cocky and over-sexed, considering his looks and athleticbackground. But he’s not. He’s sweet, a complete gentleman, and sexy in a completelyadorable way. He’s not a complete prude, but he’s definitely the kind of guy we wouldprobably meet in RL.

 Bella’s a great, natural character. I love realistic Bellas. I also love witty ones.

 Here’s a little clip from one of my favorite scenes so far:

 "So, thanks for dinner," I say, suddenly feeling like this is a really bad movie script,and Edward only further confirms that assessment when he says, "It was mypleasure." I roll my eyes at our joint lameness and he chuckles. "Yeah, okay, this is awkward."

 "See? This is probably why that whole chivalry thing has gone the way of eight-track tapes and VCRs. You should have just slowed to a crawl at the foot of thedriveway and I could have hopped out. I can duck-and-roll like a ninja."

 "If memory serves, we used a VCR just last week," he points out, ignoring my joke entirely, and is treated to my second eye-roll for his trouble.

 "And, if my memory serves, you weren't exactly adept at doing so, which furtherillustrates my point."

 "Trust me when I tell you that I'm far more adept at this than I am at operatingarchaic technology."

 When he blushes, the implication of his words hits me and I can't resist thebait. "Oh? And what exactly is 'this'?"

 "Um. Well." He licks his lips, and I step closer; when he looks down into my face,his eyes are heated. "You know. Dating."

 "I see."

 "Okay, that's a lie. I suck at dating."

 I laugh, the flirty sexual tension eliminated entirely. "I don't know," I counter. "Ithink you're doing pretty well, actually."

 "Yeah?"

 I nod. "Yeah."

 "Okay," he breathes. "Cool."

 I smile and bite my lip, inordinately pleased when his eyes go immediately to mymouth. "Hey, Edward?"

 "Yeah?" His eyes are still on my mouth, and it's amazing how very seventeen I feelright now. Were this a different porch on a different street in this same tiny town,this could be the first-date kiss I missed out on a decade ago.

 "Wanna kiss me?"

 "Badly," he says.

 Nope. Not gonna ruin it for ya. You’re just gonna have to read it yourself. By the way,my other favorite scene is a certain conversation they have in the diner about his...shall we say, experiences regarding creative sexual activities-slash foreplay that hadme spitting out my water and laughing hysterically. I won’t post it here because again, itwould just ruin too much, and I want you to RUN, not walk over to read it.

 Now, most people know I’m a teacher. One of the aspects of this story I like the most(besides the obvious wonderful and true-to-life UST) is the school atmosphere and thecamaraderie among the teachers. I found myself laughing at Bella’s colleagues as theydown margaritas and nachos as they gossip about the student and teachers. Yes. Wedo that. We have lives. We have sex. We’re still awesome teachers. Same goes for theantics of the students; crushes on teachers, being pressured to be sexually active, boysbeing... well, BOYS. It’s all very entertaining to read.

 The story is only eight chapters in, and she tends to update pretty frequently (most ofthe time daily), and it’s one of those “put everything down to read” fics for me. And afterreading most of TheFicChick’s stuff, I can safely rec just about everything else on herFFN profile. But read this one first. It will surely put a smile on your face... and you won’tlose any of your teeth from sugary sweets with no substance.


This is Not My Life by IsaKassees
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5540509/1/This_Is_Not_My_Life
Follow Bella as she tries to survive a madman's abduction and keep a  stranger's child from succumbing to his wild fantasies, and follow Edward as he  tries to stay sane searching for his daughter taken right before his eyes.  Twilight - Rated: M



Going  Under by sparklnfade
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7728698/1/Going_Under
It's been ten years since the summer Bella Swan's life changed. What will  happen when she comes face to face with the reason for it? She went under once,  will she go under again? AH ExB Twilight - Rated: M - English -  Romance/Drama



Just Breathe by Anhanninen
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8867529/1/Just-Breathe
After his wife dies, Edward's left alone to pick up the pieces of his  brokenhearted daughter. He must swallow his pride and ask for help so that she  can heal. He never imagined one woman could mend two hearts, just by listening.  "Sometimes, all you can do is just breathe." All Human. Rated: Fiction M



Yosemite  Decimal by MagTwi78
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8534317/1/Yosemite-Decimal
Bella has nailed her dream job as Seattle Times' newest Outdoors writer.  She's found new friends and is settling into life in her new city. Things are  coming together for her, but an arrogant stranger sends her reeling at every  turn. Will her new life be as comfortable as she'd hoped, or is she set for a  rocky ride? AH B&E M  Rated: Fiction M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket