Wednesday, March 20, 2013

TLS Fics of the week 3/19 - 3/25/2013: The Fab Five are up!




Faking It by  Spanglemaker9
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5153711/1/Faking-It
Half of Hollywood's most famous couples  are faking it. That's how Bella Swan's publicist convinces her to pretend to  date troubled Hollywood bad boy Edward Cullen. And she'll do anything for her  band and her music. Rated: Fiction M



Reviewed by: Dreamweaver94

When I was asked if I’d read Faking It by Spanglemaker9, I replied, “Of course.” I thought to myself, who hasn’t [read it]? I’m still a little shocked to have been asked to write a review for it. What can I say that hasn’t already been said?

I enjoy so much about this particular story- I’m not sure where to start. It’s been about two and a half years since I discovered all of Spanglemaker9’s fics. At this point, I can’t remember where I’d heard of it.

Admittedly, I’m ashamed to say I don’t rec it very often because I just assume everyone has already read it. Faking It has been “favorited” by over 8000 readers on ffn, ranking it in the top 25 of all Twilight fics still posted.

When I search for a good fic, I want to be sucked into the story. I want UST and angst. I want the inevitable yet plausible misunderstanding between the two main characters. I want the anticipation that comes from one of the leads having to work their way back into the good graces of the other. It also doesn’t hurt when all the elements of canon that I adore are there, and subtle. When hints of the original characters blend seamlessly with a new vision and create a world I can’t tear myself away from, I’m hooked. This story had me hooked the whole time.

Bella, Emmett, Rose, and Jasper are members of the band Eclipse, and have just won first place in the reality TV show America’s Next Great Band. In order to launch them into superstardom instead of obscurity, their publicists arrange for lead singer and girl-next-door Bella Swan to start “dating” blockbuster actor Edward Cullen – a great actor with a bad reputation.

It starts with my favorite premise of all, “a very bad boy being redeemed by a very good girl”. Spanglemaker9 even acknowledges this tale-as-old-as-time concept when Aro, the band’s publicist, tries to sell the band on the idea.

"And what does being with Edward do for Bella, exactly?"
"Despite his issues," Aro continued, "Edward is still a very hot social commodity in Hollywood. Quite possibly because of them, actually. He may have problems getting cast, but he certainly has no problem getting invited anywhere and everywhere. And he's still very much considered Hollywood royalty. In the very top tier of players in this town. Right now Bella, and by extension all of you, are very hot, but also balancing on the knife edge of being a flash in the pan. The show just ended a few months ago, you're all still fresh and new. People are waiting to see if you turn into bona fide, long-lasting superstars or if you turn into a Trivial Pursuit answer. Now your job is to make the brilliant music that will cement your reputation. But my job is to make sure people are paying close attention to you when that music is released. And linking Bella to Edward will most assuredly make sure that happens. This goes beyond the usual curiosity people will have about two celebrities dating. There is also the story of a very bad boy being redeemed by a very good girl, and the public loves a good redemption story."

And so their story begins. They meet, the sparks fly, and Bella tries as hard as possible not to fall for the infamous Edward Cullen. Their chemistry is off the charts, but Bella guards her heart because she’s a musician, not an actor like Edward – for all she knows, he’s faking it the entire time. Or is he?

"I'm just thinking…well, it might look better if we hold hands. Is that alright with you?"

"Oh, sure! I wasn't thinking. Of course."

Edward reached over and plucked my right hand off my lap, twining my fingers in his. He rested our joined hands on his left thigh. Gah. Why the hell did that have to feel so damned good? I could hardly think of anything besides the feel of his fingers on my hand.

What he does when the cameras aren’t flashing and the media isn’t hounding them starts to surprise her. She doesn’t think this could possibly be real.

Finally we were called in to the theater for the screening. At least I'd be off my feet. Edward led us to our seats and got me settled. The lights dimmed halfway and before I registered what he was doing, Edward reached into my lap and plucked my hand up and settled our joined hands on his thigh just like at the ballgame. It occurred to me for a second that it was dark in here and no one was likely to notice if he didn't hold my hand, but it felt too good, so I didn't say a word.

Then the lights went out completely and the movie started. The instant it got dark, the low grade electric buzz I always felt when I was close to Edward shot up to epic levels. I was acutely aware of how close the side of his leg was to mine. It seemed like every nerve ending in my body channeled straight into my right hand where it was joined to his. This reaction my body had to his was embarrassing. I felt so tingly and flushed that it seemed impossible it wasn't noticeable to others, to him. I chanced a tiny glance at Edward. His head was tilted slightly in my direction and he was looking at me. His eyes looked black in the darkness of the theater. I didn't immediately look away. Whatever I was feeling before was amplified by a thousand now that we were locking eyes. He had to be feeling something, too. Slowly, I felt his thumb swipe across the back of my knuckles. My breathing hitched, my heart pounded and I prayed he didn't hear it. I cut my eyes back to the front where the movie was starting. Out of the corner of my eye I could see he didn't move, he was still watching me.

This story has the slow burn I love. It takes its time and describes all the details and moments that make these two fall for each other.

"Wait till you see her tomorrow!" Alice said ... "She's going to take your breath away!"

And she was out of my room in a flash. I laid my head back on the pillow and spoke to the ceiling. "She already does."

The publicists were right. The public and the media are eating up the new relationship. Trouble comes when the lines drawn between fiction and reality are blurred. Both Edward & Bella have their own reasons for holding back, for assuming the worst. Just when they realize maybe what they feel is real and maybe they will get a break, the paparazzi, which covered the blossoming relationship - may very well destroy it.

It has so many moments that have stayed with me years after I’ve read it. It makes me want to buy fish tacos from a food cart in LA and eat them on a private beach late at night. It makes me wonder which couples on the red carpet can’t wait for “later.” It makes me want a grand piano in my bedroom.

The best thing I can say about this story is that when I went to pull some of my favorite quotes and moments in order to write this review, I got sucked back in just as quickly as the first time I’d read it. Instead of just skimming through to refresh my memory, I spent the entire weekend rereading it because I still love the characters, plot, pacing, and dialogue.

So if you haven’t read this story yet (impossible, right?), I don’t know what you’re waiting for. Just don’t plan on doing anything for a couple of days.




Let Me by Iambeagle
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8990126/1/Let-Me
A story about two friends, a three-day music festival, and stupid love.  EPOV. Rated: Fiction M

Complicated_big photo complicatedbig.png

Complicated by LyricalKris
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8615680/1/
High school relationships are always more complicated than they should be.  Usually, those complications are made up of the drama that is teenage life.  Sometimes... it's really complicated. Edward and Bella were already there before  the surprise of their young lives threw them into a life they weren't remotely  prepared for. Rated Fiction M

 photo Fame2_zps1780ac86.jpg 

Fame by BlueIsSoul
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8397459/1/Fame
Childhood sweethearts, Bella and Edward were meant to be forever. That is  until he got what he always wanted. Rated: Fiction M

The Gap photo TheGap_zps2f31819d.png

The Gap by Capitalab
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8595287/1/The-Gap
Their first encounter is brief, minute, insignificant, forgettable. At  least it should be. Edward and Bella live very different lives, but a chance  encounter forces them to reexamine everything they thought they wanted. Rated:  Fiction M

A teeny-tiny note from PAWsPeaches:

If you haven't read anything in this feature but you made it all the way here, to the bottom of this post...please pay attention: you need this story (The Gap) in your life.

There are times that I come across a story which effects me, to the point that I get excited and want to post everywhere about it or I just want to blog about it... this post is one of those times. The Gap is so well written, realistic and fun that I advise you all to click the link above and get in on this while it's still in the making... so that you can watch it grow and appreciate it the way we all do when we find those newborn stories that turn out to be such big wonders. I've inserted a favorite excerpt from chapter 3 below and I hope that you'll join us and see why we're talking about this one...


Bella's apparent indifference is enough to drive Edward insane. As the bartender takes his time to retrieve the drinks, he continuously glances in Bella's direction. The woman next to him is still talking, but he isn't listening. And he isn't buying her drink.

"Where's your friend?" Bella asks as Edward returns.

He hands her a beer before taking a swig of his own. "I told her to wait for me in the alley."

Bella sighs. "Lovely."

"I'm kidding, Bella. Why, are you jealous?"

"No," she lies. "I prefer guys that shower, remember?"

He stares straight into her eyes. "Right. And I prefer girls who swallow, but that isn't going to stop me."


.
.
.

Enjoy your week ladies and whatever you do... don't waste another minute on that fic that you're just settling for. Find something that moves you and makes you come to life on the inside. And when you do... share it with us? Until next week... Adios amigos :)



2 comments:

  1. I read your rec of 'The Gap' and I immediately had to see what the hype was all about. I'm glad I did. I'm currently starting on chap 4, but I had to make myself stop reading so I could tell you Thank you. I love a good FF read and this is definitely one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ecullensgurl,

    I'm so happy that you visited our blog and found a story that you like! And you were just in time for the update as well. Happy Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete

Photobucket