Wednesday, September 25, 2013

TLS Fic of the Week 9/24- 9/30


To Destroy by Walkingwithgiants
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7493279/1/To-Destroy
In the words of Abe Lincoln, "The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend." Bella works for a man that makes her teeth grind. "My boss is an asshole," she cried. Rated M

Review by: jacndaniel

Being asked to write this review was both flattering and terrifying. I love Mariana’s words and I was so worried that I wouldn’t be able to do them justice. Yet here is my humble attempt.

When “To Destroy” begins we meet Bella. She is in a mediocre temp position, and is just taking life as it comes. She doesn’t have any idea what she is in for when she accepts a permanent position as the new assistant to the elusive Mr. Edward Cullen.

In fact, Mr. Cullen is so elusive that our Bella introduces herself to him as “Mr. Cullen’s new assistant”. That is where the fun begins!

"I'm Mr. Cullen," he said in an annoyed tone. He dropped a stack of binded papers onto the corner of the desk. "You can assist me by making me twenty copies of his pamphlet and putting each into a portfolio before you go." There was no please, no further questions about what my name was, no welcoming words into his office, nothing. The tall man with a pretty face, and dismissive attitude ducked into his office and left me there at 4:55 on a Friday with a bunch of shit to do.

Really, I tried to remind myself of how nice he'd been the first time we'd met a year ago, but it was freaking impossible. Impossible! I mean, shit! Who does that? Obviously this douche bag. Grabbing the collection of papers of the table, I ground my teeth together and hissed out what I had a feeling would become my mantra, "Fucking asshole."

An asshole indeed and he will have many more opportunities to prove his asshole-ness as the story unfolds. Edward Cullen screams more than he speaks and Bella finds herself on the receiving end of many a rant. It takes a few weeks for Bella to make a little progress with her Jerkward, and even then her victory is short lived.

"I just wanted to tell you that did well in the meeting."

Umm... excuse me?

I didn't know how to respond besides side-eyeing the wall and my computer screen.

"Thank you," I mumbled out, waiting for the moment in which he would criticize some aspect of my work.

There was silence in return.

Until I heard him clear his throat again. "Next time, I'd appreciate it if you didn't waste time by staring at blank pages in your notebook though, Isabella."

And, bam.

How the hell did he know? It was then that I remembered him watching me unwrap a new packet of legal pads earlier in the week, and stashing them in my desk.

"You can make up the time by staying ten minutes later tonight. Send me your notes from the meeting ASAP."

I decided one thing in that moment. At some point, maybe not in a day, or a week, or even a month, I would make Mr. Cullen pay for being an asshole because it was genuinely fair. I held back tears from my eyes, both because I was humiliated that he caught me, but also because it just seemed so unfair.”

Jeebus, that man could use a lesson in Management 101! It’s probably not the best idea to make your assistant hate you, especially since she is the one running your life for you. I wanted to feel sorry for poor Bella, but I don’t think she wants me to. I’m sure she has something brewing, and pay back is a bitch.

The dynamic between Bella and Edward doesn't change much until their fateful first business trip, to which she gets a hilarious send off from her best friend Angela. I must say that this is the best “Angela” I have read in a long time. She is anything but shy and quiet like she is expected to be. The relationship that she has with Bella is one of my favorite parts of the story.

 A sharp rap at my window made both of us shriek like half-dressed hussies in scary movies.

"Sweet baby Jesus!" Angela shrieked.

Followed by my loud "Shit!"

I grabbed at the place where my heart would be, looking out the window to see who in the world had just scared the crap out of us. Recognizing the deep, green eyes on the other side of the glass, I let out a deep exhale as my heart fought its way to regulate itself.

Mr. Cullen stood there, the same bored expression as always filling his features. "I'm here," he said, loudly.

I nodded my response and watched him walk away, toward a slick, black Town car that was parked haphazardly on the fire lane.

"Uhh... please tell me that wasn't your boss," she muttered.

"That isn't my boss?"

Angela's jaw dropped open when I turned to look at her. "Bella, that man is smoking hot."

I couldn't help but groan. "He's a dick."

"A hot dick!" she squealed. "Why didn't you tell me the man looks like a GQ model?"


"It's hard to acknowledge someone's hotness when he has such a shitty personality," I scoffed, looking out the window to see a full sized car and a compact car pulling into the parking lot. "I think that's our car, Ang."


We got out of the car and pulled my small suitcase out of her trunk. Angela wrapped me in a tight hug before whispering in my ear, "Now I really do hope you share a room with that stud."

"You're terrible," I laughed against her ear.

Usually when Edward and Bella are sent away together on any kind of over night trip, the sparks fly and they return as a couple. That is not the case here. Not even close. Believe me when I tell you that  it’s not what you think. At all. It came so far out of left field for me that I think I read the chapter four times! Seriously, the turn the story takes is a sharp left and all hell breaks loose.

"You're a fucking slut!" the blonde woman screamed in my face.

"I already called security!" an unfamiliar voice just to my other side exclaimed.

I looked over, struggling just the slightest to keep Kate from slipping out of my hold, to see that two other people from our floor were standing in the hallway, in their underwear, looking alarmed. Kate kicked my leg with the toe of her shoe, nailing me right to the side of my shin, contacting the muscle there with a vengeance. I yelped before pushing my body weight against her to keep her legs immobile. My heart was beating fast while I pushed against Kate again, looking down at the dark carpet. I didn't want to look up. I didn't want to see Mr. Cullen's stupid face right there.

I don't think I'd ever been so pissed off in my life.

It wasn't like I actually needed his help, but still. I'd never met a man that wouldn't have stood up for me, if I needed it. Obviously, I'd needed it. 

If you aren’t intrigued now, then I don’t know what else I can say. This story is smart and funny and pulls at the heart strings more than I expected it to. You will not regret waiting for the updates, I surely don’t.

Thanks to the lovely ladies at The Lemonade Stand for asking me to write this review, and thanks to Mariana for sharing such a great story with us all!



Small Bump by Thimbles
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9612494/1/Small-Bump
Pregnancy is an entirely natural process, one I'd studied and seen in all its stages. Yet in that moment, knowing that Bella was carrying our child, a little person somehow knit together from her and me, and the love we shared, it seemed a strange miracle—she seemed a strange miracle. Life, loss, love, and hope. (Angst rating applies to Ch. 1 only.) Rated M


Altered Measure by Kitchmill
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9640843/1/Altered-Measure
Edward Cullen is living life in the fast lane. As the lead singer of Breaking Dawn, he gets any woman he wants and makes no apologies for it. But when he sets his sights on timid Bella Swan, his life becomes irrevocably altered. How will he handle being thrown into fatherhood and co-parenting with the introverted beauty? Rated M


A Slow Boil by Kts
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7052343/1/A-Slow-Boil
Bella's an exchange student hoping to find a job to keep herself employed for the summer so that she can stay on at an exclusive University. Her best job prospect is a part-time housekeeping position with one Mr. Cullen. Rated M


Reason For Living by RobzBeanie
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8978002/1/Reason-For-Living
A man who just wants to live and a woman who forgot how to live. Can they be what the other needs to survive? Recluse Bella gets a surprise when she answers her door. Rated C for Cheekyward. AH, Tattward Rated M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket