Saturday, May 9, 2015

TLS Special SNEAK PEEK Feature


The Lemonade Stand has spent years bringing you the best the fandom has to offer, and we are very excited to have the chance to offer you MORE. We've watched stories grow and develop from first post through COMPLETE in The Nursery, and now we're sharing previews of the stories that will soon be your new addiction.

This month, the talented Bled Dry, author of the standout story Goodbye Peter Pan, shares a little detail on her upcoming story If This... Then with us.


Summary: If you have chemistry, you only need one other thing: timing. But timing is a bitch.

A few years ago, I found the only diary I ever kept, which consists of three months’ worth of entries from January to March 1993. All of the entries detail my interactions with a certain boy. All of them are of me trying to figure out if he like likes me.

Fast forward twenty years, and that same boy is now one of my dearest friends. We've married other people, and we like each other's spouse. We were never meant to be anything more than friends.

This is not that story.

This is a different story. This is a “What if?” It's inspired by the diary, but this is an Edward and Bella story through and through.

It's about meeting the love of your life at an age you’re not ready for. It's about getting the timing right. It's about finding and fixing yourself before you can get lost in someone else. This is a story about love, friendship, and patience in three parts. Part One finds us in 1993. There's some jumping through time to 2007 in the second. The third and final act will bring us to the present day.

I feel I should leave you with a few warnings. First, as mentioned above, there’s some jumping around in time. Second, I like things that take a long time to come together. I'm a huge fan of The Office, especially the first three years of the Jim and Pam plot. I won't make you wait four years to see them together, but it's not going to happen instantly. This is a story about getting the timing right; not everything will be clear right away. We're starting in the mind of a seventeen-year-old girl, after all. You'll have to infer and be confused right along with her.

...

Christmas Day, 1992

My phone’s been ringing all day. Getting my own line was my first clue things were better money-wise.  It was also when they started teasing me at lunch for being a rich girl.   

I'm not. I'm so not, and they know it. Some of them. If they've been around long enough, they've watched the roller coaster. But we've merged groups somewhere along the way, the boys that wear kilts and the smart kids.  I'm not sure when or how, but that's how it is now.

And it's those boys who make fun of me, which is bullshit. It's extra bullshit, because they date the West End girls, who live in almost-mansions and drive their own cars. Sure, I drive to school every day, but that's only because the 'rents are working together now and I get Renee's old car. And I can't tell if they're really making fun of me, 'cause they sure do seem to like their girls.

I don't know boys.

They used to make my skin crawl. But something's happening lately. I wouldn't say I'm over it. It's been two years, though, and things are better.

Edward Cullen touched my knee the other day. This thing's been going on lately with our group at lunch; we bunch our fingertips together so they're touching and put them on someone's knee. Then we slowly spread them out and see who gets the willies.

It didn't work on me until Edward did it.

I didn't get the willies. I don't know what that was, but I want more of that feeling. It was nice to have a guy touch me and not want to throw up.

But he has a girlfriend. She's a West. He's Jake's best friend, and they're dating best friends. It's kind of weird, though. None of us has ever met them. Like ever. They go on double dates, but they never bring them to just hang out with us. I'm guessing it's 'cause we're not the kind of friends you bring your girlfriends around.

My phone rings again, and I contemplate not answering it. I really just want to get lost with Billy Corgan for a while, and I don't want to talk about what I got anymore. Last year, I got a sweater. I don't know how to talk about this year, yet. Don't get me wrong. I mean, this is totally cool. But I worry about what's going to happen when they have to pay for all this stuff.

It's still ringing, and I decide to get up and see who it is. I have call display and call answer, so if I don't want to talk to them, they can leave a message.

Cullen, C.

Holy shit.

.

Don't forget to pop Bled Dry on alert so you don't miss out!

♥ Kim 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket