Saturday, August 8, 2015

TLS Special SNEAK PEEK Feature


The Lemonade Stand has spent years bringing you the best the fandom has to offer, and we are very excited to have the chance to offer you MORE. We've watched stories grow and develop from first post through COMPLETE in The Nursery, and now we're sharing previews of the stories that will soon be your new addiction.

This week, the lovely drotuno, author of the brilliant Man Behind the Mask, shares a little detail on her upcoming story A Few Tables Away with us.


A Few Tables Away

SUMMARY: Edward spent most of his life trying to be invisible until he got to college. All alone, 3000 miles from home, there’s only one person he wishes would see him. His Library Girl, just a few tables away. AH/Rated M/Canon couples 

~oOo~

This idea started when someone posted a meme on Facebook containing a letter. It was the sweetest, shyest, most honest thing I’d ever heard – whether it was real or not. My head locked onto it and didn’t let go. It’s the only thing in the fic I didn’t write, but I wish I had. 
To the girl at the table near the back of the library,
I almost asked you what was wrong the first time I saw you crying. Then I saw the book you were reading and realized that you were crying because of it. And I was interested, because I’d never read anything that moved me that much.
I checked out the book you were reading, and guess what? I cried – just a little – too. That’s how it started. Every time I go to the library, you’re almost always there, usually with a completely new book. Sometimes you smile, or laugh out loud, or cry again, and when you do, I check out the book you’re reading.
That was it, really, until I realized how gorgeous you are. You’re not pretty in the normal kind of way, but God, when you smile, it lights up your face in the best way. 
I wish you’d notice me, sitting a few tables away from you, reading the book you were reading a few days ago. I wish you’d smile at me. I don’t have the guts to talk to you. I’m afraid you won’t be anything at all like I imagine.
One of these days, I’ll work up the courage and I’ll ask you about what you’re reading. And maybe you’ll smile that gorgeous smile and tell me all about it, and then we’ll talk about all the books we’ve read. But until then, thank you for the book recommendations. I love them.
Love, the boy a few tables away from yours
This boy in the library got into my head and wouldn’t leave, and the ideas ran the gamut – shy boy, confused vampire, back to shy, somewhat awkward human guy. That last one was the winner. It also didn’t help that when I showed Beffers87 the letter, she immediately had an idea for a banner – title and all. It’s gorgeous, along with the manips she made to put it together, so there was no fighting this plot bunny.
A Few Tables Away is set in a fictional town and college in my home state of Florida, though there are some canon touches here and there. I wasn’t expecting the turns this story took, but I hope you give Bookward a chance. 
The story will go live Sunday the 9th (tomorrow), and I’ll update Sundays/Wednesdays as long as my schedule holds true. I want to thank TLS for inviting me again. Here’s a bit of Chapter 2…
The weather in Florida was still warm, though with September almost over, I was told that the heat would lessen soon, that fall would bring less humidity. I was looking forward to it, if only for the change from what I was used to; it would be interesting to see the holidays wearing short-sleeved shirts instead of heavy coats and even heavier boots. Because there wasn’t a chance in hell I was going home for Christmas.
The coffee shop was pretty busy, with plenty of people taking up the tables outside and the sofas and chairs inside. Most of them were probably college students, though there were a few I’d guess were in high school, too. Sunset Roast had free WiFi, so the younger people of Glenhaven took advantage of it.
Jasper was running the counter when I stepped through the doors, and he grinned my way. “Ah, there he is. I’m glad we haven’t scared you off yet.”
Smiling a little, I shook my head. “No, sir.”
He snorted, gripping my shoulder. “I’m about five seconds older than you, bud. No ‘sir’ needed.” When I nodded again, he chuckled. “Actually, I’m only about two years older than you. What are you…eighteen? Nineteen?”
“Nineteen.”
“Ah, yeah…well, I’m almost twenty-two, so… Don’t ‘sir’ me.”
Grimacing, I said, “Habit.”
“And it’s a good one, Ed. But save it for the old lady at the bakery for extra donuts or the old man who runs the flower shop when you need somethin’ for your girl.”
“I don’t… I mean… There’s no…”
His brow furrowed at me, but a half smile played on his lips. “Good-lookin’ kid like you? Pfft… Shit, you’ll be knockin’ them off with a stick before your first semester is over.” I could only stare at him in confusion, which seemed to amuse him more, but he changed subjects quickly. “Oh, hey… I was putting your file together. Come with me. I need to talk to you before you get to work.”
I started to panic, thinking I’d done something wrong, but he’d said I’d be getting to work, so I figured I wasn’t fired…yet. “What’d I do?”
He led me through the kitchen and down the hall to his office. Papers and files were strewn all over the top of his desk, which made the neat freak in me break out into a sweat and swallow thickly. I shifted on my feet, gazing down at my sneakers as he shuffled through some stuff, only to slap down a manila file folder with my name on it.
“Listen, I was doing the paperwork on you, and I noticed you didn’t put down a name and phone number in case of emergency.”
“There’s no one to call.”
Jasper stared at me for a moment, and I frowned at his finger pointing to the blank line on the application. He opened his mouth and then shut it, only to say, “Where’s home, Ed?”
“Washington. And everyone I know is too far away to do anything about any emergency.”
Jasper sighed, falling down in his chair. “I gotta have somethin’. Even if it’s your roommate.”
My nose wrinkled as I shook my head, and I thought it was pretty damn sad I didn’t have Ben’s phone number, but I didn’t think I’d need it.
“Parents? Mom or Dad?”
“No… N-No mother, and my dad wouldn’t care if there was an emergency.” The truth came flying out of my mouth quicker than I could pull it back in, and Jasper flinched. “If I give you my brother’s number, just…don’t bother to call if something happens. He’ll just…freak out that he can’t do anything. Then he’ll call my sister, who will… She’ll panic. I…”
Something akin to pity warmed his usually jovial, easygoing blue eyes, but he nodded, pushing the file toward me. I jotted down Emmett’s name and cell phone, looking back at him.
“And I thought my family put the fun in dysfunctional.”
I couldn’t help but laugh. “From what I can see, you’re pretty normal, so… I probably win.”
 .
Don't forget to pop Deb on alert so you don't miss out! 

♥ Kim 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket